Friday, August 24, 2012

WIP - Jobob and Fluffy Feathers

More February-ish 2011 WIPs. My owls have an ongoing narrative, backstories, family trees, and evolving personalities. They've become close friends like my other characters, except since they have plush avatar bodies, I can talk to them and cuddle with them and pet them - interaction I can't have with, say, the crew of Power Warp (they would be even more disturbed if I could, though. I don't think they've forgiven me for some of the situations I've drawn them in.)

Also, the plush avatars make it easy for my family to play along and contribute to their personalities and backstories (and thus, Odin went from emo to free-spirited adventurer. He still has relapses, though.)

This closeness has made them seem like people (a good sign for fictional characters.) So I've imagined what they would look like as humans. These first tries don't quite capture their personalities as I wanted, but I've been sketching revisions (also not perfect, but better.)


Unkle Jobob turned out best by far of these first tries. He was the first one I drew, too. Probably because even when I got him I had a clear, strong personality in mind for him. He is so cute!


Mr. Fluffy Feathers looks too waifish here. I think I got the "gentle gentleman" character down, but the drawing itself is missing volume. Bigger paper might also fix that when I redraw it. Or I just have to focus more.




2 comments:

  1. Like before, I do think those lines bring something extra. :3

    Jobob is adorbs. The HAIR. I do like that composition too. I think you should completely ink and color this one. AHEM. <3

    I think Fluffy Feathers looks fine, and agree that bigger paper will help you give the drawing the "more" you're looking for.
    Hmmm, maybe add a portrait painting on the wall? *is useless at giving advice*

    *tries to imagine calling a guy "Mr. Fluffy Feathers" to his face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be completing Jobob! I guess this one is fine, but I've been sketching out the designs and I want to make sure I haven't stylistically changed so much that it will look awkward. I might just redraw so he'll match the other redraws.

      I've also thought of having him seated and then making the setting less sparse and more elaborately Victorian and classy. Portrait painting sounds good... maybe a cameo of a human Count Mordy (my plush vulture)?

      His real name is Manitoba. He is their provincial bird. ^^ But I still call him Mr. Fluffy Feathers, because that's what I called him when I first petted and snuggled him. :3

      Delete