Friday, March 23, 2012

WIP - QT Crawlies 7

Finally, we are to the last batch of QT Crawlies I drew before deciding to start over and redraw them all (and then some) this year.

Hydra

Hydra. Okay, so this one isn't technically a bug, but my dad suggested it because of the "creepy turned cute creature" concept. (Snakes and scorpions are future possibilities for this series.) The Hydra is like an alien princess because of her microscopic and non-insectoid origin.

Scorpionfly

Scorpionfly. Some gender bending with this one, but since I lost my notes with the re-imaged laptop, I forgot why the Scorpionfly is the only male in this series (okay, technically some other insects I drew should be male, too...) Something about pretending to be female? Actually, I did write some notes in a notebook with my list of bugs. But all I wrote was "It's a trap! lol" for the Scorpionfly. I must re-research.

Mantis

Mantis. Oh, the sneaky Mantis... I don't know if there's any significance to making her look like a cat burglar, but I like her outfit nonetheless. I wish I could have a figurine of her, but I hate working with 3D stuff, usually (danger!) Something to aspire to if the project turns out not to be a failure, I guess... licensed merchandise! QT Crawlies the Cereal! QT Crawlies the Fleece Blanket! ... QT Crawlies the Bug Bomb!!



2 comments:

  1. Don't hurt me, but when I first saw the Hydra, I thought "Lady Gaga." *hides* She just looks flashy and dance-y enough. 8D Are you making mini-stories up as you go along (due to your mention of her alien-ness)?

    Scorpionfly: Nicolina, is that you? (I think I'm seeing her everywhere now) She's definitely a cutie/QT! Hmmm, maybe the "trap" is pretending to be female, then killing/eating the suitors? >.> You could give her a nice Ackbar mask since "it's a trap." *is shot*

    I think Mantis found her lunch. >.> Or a mate. Same diff. 8D Loving the head gear!

    Hmmm, QT Crawlies bug spray? 8D
    Swatters? QT motels? QT shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's alright. XD I was going more for funky 70's sci-fi disco queen, but Gaga is our version of music fashion excess. 8D (I'm thinking of little backstories or plots for a comic strip if this series pans out for me. XD But nothing elaborate like Hellhoney.)

      I think I've developed a "character type"... uggh, I must not fall into that kind of rut like some other artists do (like how some games franchises or comics creators have essentially the same character drawn slightly different in each title.) I hope the redraw doesn't look too much like Nicolina. And it turns out she's just male because I wanted to draw the scorpion like tail, which is only on males. XD But an Ackbar mask might get him/her eaten by a dragonfly! :O

      I'm glad the headgear looks alright... she just didn't look mantis-y enough without something representing the big eyes!

      The Swatters idea is GENIUS. That could be an actual merchandise that is cute and silly at the same time. :O If I ever use that idea, I'll need to send you some checks. XD

      Delete