Sunday, April 15, 2012

Derrotic Ruins - 2006 Derrot and Hank

After I moved over half a decade ago, I planned to get back into drawing my webcomic, Power Warp (which you can still find through Google. Just be careful of the ads from Comic Genesis.) I used to draw so much related to that comic. Then school got to me (it wasn't hard, but I was somewhat depressed at that time) and the website that hosted my website lost my account info in a server move or something, so I was locked out of my website. So I began to develop ideas of restarting it, and began drawing new art for it, but couldn't fully commit (it was the last semester of high school.) Even at university I didn't have the time, but at university at least I developed the brains to make the comic less Mary Sue-ish. And that is where I'm at now, reworking the comic into something that is not just self-insertion. Derrot is now just another alien crew member (not the main character) and quite a different personality with more pronounced flaws. Anyway, back to 2006, when I was drawing new art for a revamp...


Dated 19 February 2006. Derrot in a revamped costume that was never seen again except in sketches contemporary to it. I wanted these illustrations to be like cards, so I went crazy detailed (for me, at least) with the background. Earth, Lighting, the Power Warp space ship, and crumbled columns (representing the ancient civilizations the crew meets on different planets, civilizations that influenced early Earth.) All of these represented the old Derrot and her adventures while trying to get back to Earth. Now she's not from Earth, I think I'm ditching the over used past civilization thing, the ship looks lame and needs a redesign... only lightning binds old Derrot to new Derrot (and actually, old Derrot was supposed to be psychic, so that might not even be lightning in this drawing at all. So yeah, different. Except for the hair.)

Also, I started to color this, but I didn't have a tablet and the mouse was terrible with a ball (I didn't know I could shade with selections at the time either.) I only used the bucket tool to color, but when someone on deviantART told me I should shade my stuff for more depth, I felt ashamed and didn't know what to do and just didn't finish it. It stayed on my computer like that the entire time, even though I later figured out how to slowly shade with a soft, less-opaque brush later (until I got my tablet.)

I was actually proud of this when I first drew and inked it.

Oh, and it's all green because of her iamge color. Probably a poor choice. Only the background should probably have been green.


Dated 20 March 2006. Xerxes/Hank. This one didn't even pass the inking process. Probably because I saw I wasn't ever going to finish coloring the first one. A pyramid with a sun at the apex is in the upper left corner. I don't know what the square dots and tree trunk things at the top were supposed to represent. Data? The rest is self-explanatory.




2 comments:

  1. I liked reading the PW history. *is a nerd* >.> I'm sorry that depression grabbed hold of you, even it was years ago. <3

    And day-um. DETAILS! Hey, it may be old, but I still like the idea. Nice columns. *drool*

    Will we see re-draws of these at some point? I think they'll come out neat since you've grown. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* I'm glad you like the history... I'll have more historical bits in the future, I hope. ^^

      I'm not sure if I'll redraw these particular drawings... I suppose I could for some marker practice or something? But each character will get new illustrations in their new costumes. :3 And I must remember to have gratuitous columns in my work. 8D

      Delete