Sunday, April 15, 2012

Derrotic Ruins - Hankumarasha and Isotamitorizuro

Prince Hankumarasha

Princess Isotamitorizuro

No date, but I know these were drawn in the seventh grade. My English teacher told me to put them away, I think? I don't think I was even drawing them in class, but I did have them in my binder (I had a clear white binder that I slipped my drawings into as covers.) One of my classmates was upset because he couldn't read the katakana (it's so fuzzy, maybe I didn't tell him they spelled the same thing as the Roman letters, minus the Prince/Princess bit. I made a mistake in the last characters, though. The "ya" should be smaller in Hank's, but I was clumsy and Derrot's (Tori's at the time) reads "ko" instead of "ro", which actually makes more sense.) But yeah, the classmate told the teacher and she despised my love of Pokemon and anime (and all cartoons, it seemed), so I was told what for.

Their names were picked out from a combination of their English names and "random cool katakana."

Their outfits were inspired by Princess Mononoke, I think. I think I watched it around that time? I remember liking the guy's hair in that movie. And the outfits don't look like real kimono, but I was 13 and a fairly new fan of anime and Japanese culture. And even then, I liked the pop culture more than the traditional stuff (it's the same with me today.) I became a fan of Pokemon at age 11, but I think it wasn't until I was 12 that I began to understand what anime was and 13 when I started to actively search it out, thanks to Toonami and my mom renting Ranma 1/2 randomly for me because it looked like the Toonami stuff I watched and she thought I might like it. I LOVED IT.

End history lesson of me.



2 comments:

  1. Ah, the teacher vs. anime nerd (who thought they could write correct Japanese) story. I was lucky to have more understanding teachers; I don't think they "despised" animation. Why did yours hate it? o.O At least your mum indulged you. <3 Did she regret it?

    Those names...wow. So long. What a mouthful. XD I also was somewhat influenced by Princess Mononoke, so I can understand the love of "traditional" clothes mixed with other, um, stuff.
    Maybe that classmate was slapped by karma later for being a brat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why that teacher hated it. She was one of those grumpy people that didn't seem to enjoy fun (humbug!), so cartoons were too much fun for her? (But she seemed to also have been a rock n roll fan back in her younger years, so I don't know what happened. Certainly she had fun back then? Maybe being a wild teen is more mature than liking cartoons, by her perspective.)

      I don't know if my mom regrets it. She thinks I just like silly and stupid stuff (which is only half the truth, I like silly and smart stuff, too!) She still finds anime on television and shows me, so I'm guessing there's no regret. But we have learned that most of the anime on Anime Network on Demand are boob anime. XD But she might regret that anime led me to j-pop and then to idols. I "ruined" our new shower curtain by mentioning it gives me a Morning Musume vibe. :3

      He's probably living a normal life among the masses. That's punishment enough, right? 8D

      Delete