Sunday, April 15, 2012

Derrotic Ruins - Power Warp in the Spring of 2004

When I was in tenth grade, I went through a stressful period. Power Warp helped me cope (if you read through the novel version of it I wrote at the time, it is painfully obvious it was just me escaping from parallel problems.) I drew an awful lot of it as doodles in preparation for the webcomic I started drawing in the summer (fun fact: I had about 10-15 pages drawn that spring during school, but redrew them all that summer because I thought I could do better after completing Drawing I.) I doodled a lot in class, after finishing classwork (or saving the class work as homework, if possible.) And thus, these.


An early sketch of Jenn I doodled in Algebra II. Her outfit was so generic. I actually don't know how I'm going to fit her into the current story yet. But I do want to incorporate her somehow, because I do like her. Maybe a rival? I don't want her to be part of the main crew this time, though. She wouldn't make a good outright villain either, though. She's too happy and... bouncy.


I think I worked on this one in French II. I was so proud of the composition on this one, I think. (At least, I'm patting my 16-year-old self on the back for it right now.) This one actually has a date: 3-10-04 (March 3). So eight years ago, wow. I was a sophomore in high school eight years ago... Anyway, this is Derrot with the Chedaa Demon (which I now think looks too much like Tenchi Muyo's cabbits. Shame.) And note the signature. I don't think I ever used that again. DRK does not mean "Dr. K", as some people have thought (though that does sound cool), but "dark", because I'm The Dark Illustrator of The Dark Writers.

This was also the only time I recall giving her a bandanna cap.




4 comments:

  1. DARK WRITER NOSTALGIA!

    And ugh, 10th grade. I have the same thing going on with my writing back then.

    Jenn kinda looks like she wants to be Lara Croft XD
    and I think the picture of Derrot is kinda cute.

    I may have to start calling you Dr.K now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES~ :D And I plan to have more later, just maybe not here...

      Yeah... but I guess we can look on the bright side and say that our tough high school years kept us writing?

      Thanks! And yes, Jenn looks like the most lazily designed action heroine ever (she doesn't even have a large bust going for her.) XDD

      *gasp* You wouldn't! I just don't have the patients to be Dr. K, you know.

      Delete
  2. It's nice seeing how you improved over the years, but still kept the imagination you've always had. It matured and stopped being only escapism, but it stuck with ya.

    Is it bad that I'm mentally doing an underdrawing on the first one? ^^;

    I recognize the Chedaa! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think I still have an imagination! That's something I worry about, that I'll stop being creative in my ideas and lose my twist on things. But I guess it's normal to doubt oneself. ._.

      I think the first drawing looks like Gumby, too. XD I'm pretty sure I knew about blocking in and underdrawings back then, but I still wasn't well practiced and that particular drawing was just a doodle that started with a head. Back then there was no big difference between my doodles and sketches, though now I block in sketches. But doodles are usually just spontaneous forms that only look good by happy accidents (that particular drawing was a happy accident for its time.)

      Wee! :D I still don't know what to do with the Chedaa in my revamp. ;_; Mascot pet at some point again?

      Delete