Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sketchbook - Mermaid, Capricorn, and Whale

So I had an idea for drawing various "non-fish" mermaids in late 2010. I was thinking about entering a comic contest (but I ended up not entering, obviously), and I thought various female/sea creatures would have the right amount of marketability (and fan service) while still being weird enough for me. Then later I read that Meshia was going to do a similar series. So I'm really looking forward to seeing how we tackle the similar concept differently!

In addition to a comic, I have watercolors planned for each mermaid. But here are sketches for now.


The Mermaid and Capricorn. I just recycled one of the mermaids from my Mermayds vs. Unicorns series. And Capricorn, the trash-eating sea goat from my Zodiac series.


The Whale. I tried to make her pleasantly curvy instead of fat. And her hairstyle is meant to resemble water spouting from a blowhole.




2 comments:

  1. My mermaids will deal more with Floridian marine animals (like manatees and gators, dolphins and maybe jaguars). So our series will be somewhat different. 8D I should do a quicky of that gator. >.>

    COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMIC! Something else to bug you about. Gimme.

    I didn't understand the goat one at first. Then i remembered what a Capricorn look like. 8D Fried brain no good.
    Dear lord, those scales. Aren't they FUN? :D
    The lady mermaid almost looks as if she's getting swallowed by a big-lipped fish. XD

    And the whale lady is nice and curvy. I don't think "fat." Nice hair! XD I don't think the tail would bend that sharply though. *needlessly nitpicky*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see the gator! I am going to have a dophin and a manatee, too, but I could call my latter one a dewgong (it can be best buddies with the seal... *cough*Pokemonreference*cough* )

      This particular comic is being put on hold until I get a sizable amount of Hellhoney done. :(

      The scales will be even more FUN when I'm inking and watercoloring. 8D

      I wanted to make the fish tail on the mermaid big enough for bubbles to cushion her human skin as it eventually merges with fish flesh deeper in the tail. I imagine the bubbles feeling so soft. <3

      I'll keep the whale's tail in mind in future drawings, thanks~! I was still thinking she has knees. XD

      Delete