Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sketchbook - MM20XX Daughters

Since fanart is something that keeps me drawing and experimenting without botching my own projects, I have a comic strip in the works involving a future Morning Musume. Just four-panel silliness, nothing elaborate like my main comics. It will be once a month, but I have January to May to catch up on, so there might be a bunch at first. Anyway, part of the cast:


This girl is meant to be Reina's future daughter in the comic. She's even more "yankee" than her mom and gives the other members a hard time.


And Yuko's adopted daughter. (I came up with this before Yuko had the surprise engagement and subsequent marriage.) She follows Reina's daughter around and is actually very sweet and shy. Maybe Yuko can finally teach her to stand up for herself? (As in, have a character that is strong on its own and not just going along with her friend.)

I originally came up with the idea for this comic in November/December 2010, when I was eagerly awaiting the results of the first Morning Musume audition in four years. I didn't realize that the tenth generation this past fall would produce two similar characters, Kuduu and Masaki! I must make them different some how...

This felt creepy to create, though. At least these two characters. Fan-fiction based on real people is generally in creepy territory for me (or just for lulz.) But idols (also like pro-wrestlers and Miley Cyrus) are kind of special cases since they portray an image of themselves, a stage character, and not necessarily their true selves. I just hope the thought of these characters doesn't offend fans (or at least not the majority. There will always be people offended by anything.) I thought it would be neat if there were relatives of former members in a future Morning Musume. And this comic will definitely not be something to take seriously... it will be a gag and parody strip.




2 comments:

  1. I can relate to how making fanfiction/fancomics about real people causes creepiness. Some of the blogs I follow sometimes ship two actors together (based on their shows' characters' relationships), and it makes me go: o.O "EH?"

    *squeezes the bottom daughter's cheek* SO CUTE!
    I want Reina's daughter's outfit. *steals* Not that I could wear it. 8D

    I wanna see these strips. *makes grabby hands*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And Reina and baby Reina wear those kinds of outfits so most people don't have to. I personally like Reina's photobooks and photoshoots not just for seeing her character, but for her fashion. She's really cool. <3

      The creepy feeling I have with this series just got worse because one of the women I mention in this post has recently announced her pregnancy. I'm all, "Oh no, what if she comes across it and doesn't find the idea funny, even though I mean the former Morning Musume member persona and not the real person." D: But I'll still try to get those strips done and hope they turn out less creepy than I worry they will be.

      Delete